Thanks Gibran Maciel! Hope this answers a few questions you got!! I love how each number has 2 questions each!
1. How did you pick a location? Did you study if there were other BJJ schools around or did you just open it close to home?
I picked my location a few years back. Me and my (now) ex-girlfriend would hang around this area a lot and I realized that I loved the area and wanted to settle down here. I saw there were a few jiujitsu schools in the area but saw an area that seemed to be a little under-served. So I Just bit the bullet and did it! I used to live 20 miles away from the area that my academy is located. I have since moved to the area as well. What bums me out though is that I am far away from my home academy: 5 Star Martial Arts.
2. How did you figure out a schedule? Is it inconvenient to come in at 9;a and then again at 12 and then again at 6? How does that affect your personal schedule?
Currently those classes are test schedules, I want to see if there are any other times that can make jiujitsu more accessible to people. It isn’t that bad in terms of convenience cause I live only 2 miles away from the academy, I gave up my personal schedule and just do this. On Fridays unless I have privates (Which do happen) I try to sleep in. On Sundays I go around downtown and hand out fliers or try to do some other marketing work. I have committed alot to this so it is very personal. I am currently a one man operation and get some help by an assistant who trains for free. So if I have any spare time, I try to figure out what I can do to make the school grow.
3. Are you teaching the classes yourself or are you paying an instructor? How much does an instructor cost, and how do you find one?
I teach all the classes right now. I have an assistant who volunteers his time in helping me do some footwork in terms of marketing. I don’t know how much an instructor costs, but if you were to hire an instructor I would first go to you instructor and ask for his opinion.
4. Do you spend $$ on marketing or is most of your business going to be generated by walk-ins?
Its a bit of both. I have a store front on 226 W. Main St. in downtown Alhambra. I chose the location because of the foot traffic that comes with it. I wish there was more. I am trying google adwords but it is very very expensive! especially for a beginner who needs to make sure rent is being paid. In all honesty, I think it takes time, but word of mouth seems to be the most effective way to get new students.
5. How long do you expect to wait to go into the black? ( I get it if you don’t want to answer).
I would want to get it in three months. People (owners of successful gyms) told me to wait six months. Not WAIT but work my butt of for six months.
Hope that helped!
Cosmic Training Center
226 W Main St Alhambra CA 91801